It is a requirement of British and European Legislation to have the UKCA or CE mark stamped on festival glasses that are being used in licensed establishments such as bars, pubs, restaurants, and beer festivals. This ensures that the correct measured amount is being served and complies with laws on the service of alcohol.

The UKCA or CE measurement mark can be to the brim, or a line marked on the cup. The ‘M15’ stands for the year in which the UKCA or CE mark was applied. For example, at the time of writing this, we are now on ‘M24’ for 2024. The 4-digit number is the registration number for the government body that verified the UKCA or CE marking.

If you are using your glass as a measuring tool for serving alcohol such as beers, cider or lager, you need a UKCA or CE mark. However, if you are using the product at home or using an alternative approved measurement tool, then the glass doesn’t need a UKCA or CE mark.

Non-compliance with the requirements as detailed in Regulations and Orders made under the Weights and Measures Act 1985 and the Licensing Act 2003 at your festival or event could result in the forfeiture of equipment and prosecution. On conviction, the courts may impose a fine of up to £2,000. Breaches of licence conditions can lead to a licence review and revocation as well as a fine of up to £20,000.

To summarise, if you are selling alcohol within the UK or EU at a licensed festival event or stadium, your cups need to be UKCA or CE-marked to ensure compliance with legal requirements. For none commercial private events it’s fine to use cups without UKCA markings as long as the drinks aren’t being sold to a specific size or value.